Spring forward your ab routine by adhering to a clean diet and incorporating the right ab exercises into your workout routine. Cardio is a key component to shredding your midsection, so I always recommend a mile run to warm-up the body and prepare your core to work. A Tabata style interval, which includes 20 seconds of max effort and 10 seconds of rest will give you maximum fatigue on your core. Check out the West Kept Secret guide to Spring-ready abs below!
1 mile run warm-up (either outdoors or on the treadmill)
Tabata: 40 seconds of work/20 seconds of rest x 6 static rounds at each station
- Marissa West, ACE CPT and Heidi Schmidt, NASM CPT
- Hollow Rocks
- Start in a hollow position with heels on the ground. Rock backwards and tap your shoulder blades to the mat. Repeat while maintaining a hollow position with the chin down.
- Hip Plank Dips (4 rounds right/4 rounds left)
- Start in a plank position on the forearms and drop your hip towards the mat to the respective side you are working.
- Leg Drops
- Start by laying on your back with your hands under your glutes. Drop the legs as low as you can, while maintain a flat back against the ground.
- Alternating Cross Body Mountain Climbers
- Start in a plank position on your palms. Bring your right knee to your left elbow. Repeat by alternating sides.
- Knee to Elbow Ab Crunch
- Start by laying on your back with your legs lifts and arms behind the head. Slowly lift your legs and arms at the same time. Pause at the top of the movements with your elbows placed on top of your knees.